The Norwegian Cancer Society’s volunteers offers free help with practical tasks in the home and garden for people affected by cancer.
Lack of energy often makes everyday life hard for those affected by cancer and their families. When the disease strikes you, it is common to need extra help. Still, many find it difficult to ask and receive help. We want to change this by helping you with practical tasks. By providing you with free practical help, you will get time and space to spend your energy on what you want.
Kreftforeningen therefore provides free practical support by volunteers to cancer patients, relatives and bereaved through Hverdagshjelpen – Helping hands. Our volunteers can help with different types of practical tasks, such as mowing the lawn, vacuuming, gardening or tidying your house. The volunteers are looking forward to help you with practical tasks that you normally would do yourself. (Not service that you normally would hire a professional to do.) The service is free of charge.
Would you like to become one of our volunteers? Join our volunteer team (mobilise.no).
Who do we help?
- People living in Trondheim, Oslo, Orkland, Skaun, Arendal, Grenland, Haugesund, Ålesund or Nord-Jæren (and soon in Gjesdal)
- People affected by cancer and/or their relatives
- The bereaved of cancer patients
- People with late effects from cancer treatment
Our volunteers provide help individually or in pairs. You can receive one visit a month, for up to six months. If you need more help than your first six visits, ask your volunteer for assistance.
Our visits are fitted to your situation, either you stay home and rest, or if you prefer to participate in the tasks. It is also possible to receive help, even though you are not home.
Sign up to receive help
Please follow the procedure on how to sign up further down the page. We look forward to helping you! Register here:
- Oslo (nyby.com)
- Trondheim (nyby.com)
- Orkland (nyby.com)
- Skaun (nyby.com)
- Arendal (nyby.com)
- Grenland (nyby.com)
- Haugesund (nyby.com)
- Nord-Jæren (nyby.com)
- Ålesund (nyby.com)
- Gjesdal (nyby.com)
Most of the staff and a majority of the volunteers are on holiday leave in July. It might therefore take some time before we get in contact with you. But we will do our best to reply on your request as soon as we can.
- Open App Store or Google Play
- Search for Nyby and download
- When Nyby is downloaded, open it.
- You automatically join the group Få hjelp av hverdagshjelpen i …
- You can now write a request for help by pressing home, then tap new request and let us know what kind of help you need. Please also write in which suburb/area you live in.
- One of our volunteers will contact you, within seven days.
Contact us by clicking here
If you have any questions concerning Hverdagshjelpen – Helping hands, please send an e-mail to Hanne Hovde Bye.